Make Easy Christmas Sugar Cookies
Chances are you have fond memories of making cookies with your parents, or even your children, and now it’s time to make memories with another generation. If you’re not a pro in the kitchen, you may be a bit intimidated. Don’t let that stop you! These are memories your children or grandchildren will hold on to forever. The following video teaches you how to bake and decorate delicious and easy Christmas sugar cookies.
Remember the reason for the season this Christmas. This free Nativity scene pattern gives you the instructions you’ll need to add a religious touch to gifts and decorations. This is a large project and the instructions are presented in three parts. Enjoy!
Hi, there! Can you believe Thanksgiving Day is just around the corner? If you’re still looking for some recipes to try, here’s a delicious cake from Amy Brantley, author of Cold Weather Favorites: Delicious Recipes to Get You Through Winter. The book is only 99 cents! I’m off to get mine now.
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Cake Recipe
Makes 10 inch round cake
½ cup water
¼ teaspoon salt
¾ cup white sugar
18 ounces of bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup unsalted butter, cubed
1 cup strawberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and grease a 10 inch round cake pan.
- Heat the water, salt, and sugar over medium heat in a medium saucepan. Stir until completely dissolved and set aside.
- Melt the bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler and transfer to a stand mixer.
- Beat one piece of butter into the chocolate at a time until all the butter is incorporated.
- Beat in the sugar mixture and then beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and then transfer to a larger pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and fill the larger pan halfway with boiling water, careful not to the get water into the cake batter.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. The center of the cake will still be wet. Do not over bake.
- Chill the cake overnight.
- Dip the cake pan into hot water for 10 seconds before inverted the cake onto a plate.
- Carefully spread the cake with strawberry jam and return to the refrigerator.
Chocolate Ganache Drizzle:
8 ounces of semi-sweet chocolate
¾ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Chop the chocolate and add to a heat-proof glass bowl.
- Heat the cream and butter just until boiling and pour over the chocolate.
- Allow the chocolate and cream to sit for a few minutes.
- Gently stir the chocolate and cream together, careful not to incorporate air, until the chocolate is thoroughly melted.
- Allow to cool slightly and then drizzle on the cake.
Chocolate Covered Strawberries:
1 bag of milk chocolate chips
2 tablespoons of shortening
1 pound of strawberries, washed
- Melt the chocolate chops and shortening in a double boiler.
- Dip the strawberries and place on wax paper.
- Chill until the chocolate hardens.
- Decorate the cake with the strawberries, placing the berries along the edge, saving the prettiest berry for the center.
You can also use raspberries or cherries. Just substitute the jam and fresh strawberries for your desired fruit.
Halloween is just days away, and I’m really excited. Blake and Sadie are throwing a party at MacKenzies’ Mochas on Friday. That should be so much fun! I wish you all could be there. But, for those of you who can’t–like Amanda Lee–you might want to join the Cozy Cavalry (if you haven’t done so already) and head to Facebook for Let’s Chat a Spell.
Let’s Chat a Spell is a virtual Halloween party where Amanda will be giving away copies of The Stitching Hour, some of her other books, some of Gayle Trent’s books, and lots of other goodies! The party starts on Friday, October 30, at the event page for Let’s Chat a Spell at 4 p.m. (ET) and will go on until 7 p.m. (ET). Please don’t miss out!
Look what I got upon arriving home from Bouchercon! I feel some giveaways coming on. Of course, my first giveaways of The Stitching Hour will be to the Cozy Cavalry during the October 30 “Let’s Chat A Spell” event. If you haven’t joined the event, please consider doing so. It’s a three-hour chat, and there will be lots of prizes given away! Please note, you must be a member of the Cozy Cavalry, but you can sign up here.
Then I’ll be doing a Great Escapes Virtual Book Tour from November 3 – 16, so there will be plenty of giveaways then!
Have you ever thought about giving stumpwork a try? If so, please check out the wonderful tutorial created by &Stitches!
And here’s another from YouTube:
Isn’t that gorgeous?!
I’d like to invite everyone to please enter my Fresh Fiction “Dog Days of Summer” Contest, if you haven’t done so already. Prize is a signed copy of Killer Wedding Cake and a $20 gift card from the bookseller of your choice! For more details, click here. Good luck!!!!